Jane’s Legacy and the Center Today
The mission of the Cancer Community Center is to support and promote the well-being of people living with cancer, their families and friends. Center founder, Jane Staley, believed that a supportive community was essential to healing.
Diagnosed with ovarian cancer in 1994, Jane sought a place that offered support and information as well as a sense of community for adults affected by cancer. She soon discovered that support services commonly available in other parts of the country were non-existent in Maine. This motivated her to organize a steering committee of friends, business leaders, community leaders, oncology professionals and cancer survivors to establish a no-cost cancer support center dedicated to life and living.
In the fall of 1998, the Cancer Community Center opened its doors. Today, the Center serves adults living with cancer and their loved ones with a wide variety of free support services and programs.
It is no coincidence that “community” is our middle name. After all, we are a Center envisioned and created by members of the Greater Portland community. All of our programs and services are offered at no charge, thanks to community members who donate time, money, and talent to make it all possible.
Learn more about the Cancer Community Center.
2017 - 2018 Board of Trustees
- Bill Williams, President – TD Bank
- Meg LePage – Vice President, Pierce Atwood, LLC
- Timothy Griffin, CPA, Treasurer – H.M. Payson
- Butler Carmichael, Secretary – Nike
- Corrine Bongiovanni
- Karen Bradbury – Unum
- Katie Estabrook – L.L. Bean
- Elizabeth Gordon – MSAD 51
- Robin Haley, LCSW – Falmouth School Department
- Chris Hoppin – US Air Force, retired
- Laurie Hyndman – Keller Williams Realty
- Judy Knapp – Delhaize America
- Sharon Leskanic – National Semiconductor, retired
- Alison Nathanson – MaineHealth
- Michael L. Rayder, Jr. – TD Charitable Foundation
- Tim Renyi – Sumerian Sports & Entertainment
- Robert Sansone – Tyler Technologies
- Maureen Van Benthuysen – Maine Medical Center
- Stephen Wells – L.L. Bean
- Carl Westervelt – Unum
- Matt Williams – Arthrex